- From: The Australian
- July 30, 2011
Mike Rann has been ordered by ALP factional powerbrokers to step down as the Premier of South Australia by August 31.If Mr Rann does not resign then he would face a leadership ballot, which he would likely lose in what would be a humiliating end to his 17-year leadership of state Labor.
Mr Rann is not aligned to any faction.
The Premier’s principal adviser Rik Morris tonight told The Australian Online that he could not comment but he had returned from annual leave to deal with the crisis.
The ABC tonight reported that when told of a cross-factional deal yesterday to replace him with the Left’s Jay Weatherill over the winter break of parliament, Mr Rann reacted angrily and made several threats.
“Words were uttered along the lines of ‘I’ll make more noise than Kevin Rudd’,” ABC radio political journalist Angelique Johnson said during a special broadcast that cut into Saturday broadcasting of AFL.
“The Australian is the only phone call I have answered today, but I have to go,” he said.
Senior Labor sources told The Australian Online Mr Rann was confronted with the ultimatum to step down or be pushed by union boss Peter Malinauskas and Treasurer Jack Snelling. Both men are not returning calls.
Mr Rann denied he had been told to stand aside before flying out to India this morning for a government trade trip.
It is understood Right-aligned John Rau, the Deputy Premier and Attorney-General, would remain in his roles.