Wednesday 20 July 2011

Lord Monchton challenged by the House of Lords

House of Lords takes Monckton to task

Updated July 19, 2011 15:22:51

Photo: Lord Monckton while in Perth 

The British House of Lords has taken the extraordinary step of publishing an open letter reiterating that high-profile climate change sceptic Lord Christopher Monckton is not a member of the UK's Upper House.  The House of Lords published a "cease and desist" letter on its website demanding that Lord Monckton stop claiming to be a member of the Upper House.

It comes after Lord Monckton told ABC Radio's Adam Spencer that he is a member of the House of Lords, but that he does not have the right to sit or vote.

The author of the letter, Clerk of the Parliaments David Beamish, writes to Lord Monckton: "I must therefore again ask that you desist from claiming to be a Member of the House of Lords, either directly or by implication, and also that you desist from claiming to be a Member "without the right to sit or vote".The letter says Lord Monckton is not and never has been a member of the House of Lords.

It says that no-one denies Lord Monckton is a peer, but that is an entirely separate issue to membership of the House.

Lord Monckton, who is on a lecture tour of Australia, described the letter as "impertinent". "The House of Lords says I am not a member of it. My passport says I am - get used to it," he told the National Press Club audience.

Author | Source | ABC News

1 comment:

  1. First of all I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a quick question in
    which I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I've had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out. I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Thanks!

    Here is my homepage :: waist to hip ratio chart

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.